Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Good Girl/Bad Girl


People say that dogs don’t have a conscious. I say they do. At least my dog Annie does.

Annie is a mixed breed rescue dog. As far as her breed – the only thing we are certain of is that she is a dog, but don’t tell her that. Like her people, she has an eating problem. Two things make her happy, food and praise. Like me she has NO willpower when it comes to people food.

Yesterday we forgot and left some banana nut muffins on the prep table. It’s tall, but so is Annie. We knew the minute we walked in the door that she had been a “bad girl.” 

She wouldn’t make eye contact, and she immediately ran to the back door to go outside.

The tell-tale muffin wrappers on the floor told the rest of the story. I didn’t even have to scold her – which is unbearable punishment to her. She was SO ASHAMED.

Boy can I identify. But nobody scolds me when I eat too much, or eat something I shouldn’t. As a matter of fact, people encourage me to be a “bad girl.”

“Only one little piece of cake won’t hurt.”  “You have to try my10K calorie whatever.”

But is does hurt. I’m a foodaholic. Once I start, I can’t stop. And then I feel ashamed – which depresses me – which makes me want comfort food.

Thanksgiving is just a few days away. This year I intend to make it truly a day of giving thanks.

I am thankful for you, my friends who are as close as family. Celebrate your blessings, for there are many who are so less fortunate,

And go ahead and have that sliver of pumpkin pie. Then go for a walk in this beautiful world God gave us.


As Tiny Tim said, “God bless us, every one.” 

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about dogs! I hope Annie was fine.
    And as usual you captured exactly what it is like to be a food-aholic. The self shame when you eat what you know you shouldn't have. It helps to have you here lending support. And see how smart you are about a sliver of pie instead of a big piece! Same taste, not the same damage.

    Your friends are thankful for you!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath. You are way up there at the top of my list of blessings.

      Delete