Friday, November 13, 2015


When Troubles Come




You know how it is when one bad thing happens, and new problems just keep coming one after another.

When there is NOTHING you can do about it, what do you do? Do you reach for that old standby comfort food?  Cookies, candy, something salty?

STOP, DROP (that snack), and ROLL out the door: to the gym, or a walk around the neighborhood, or put on your favorite upbeat music and rock and roll.

Oops, just revealed my age. Well, I do come from the generation that invented rock and roll. But look at it this way…I’m still able to rock and roll.

I understand. Really, I get it. When everything seems wrong and nothing is right, the last thing on your mind is how many calories/fat grams/or carbs are in that food you want. But trust me, if you put on another pound or three, you will feel worse, physically and emotionally.

So what does this have to do with Friday the 13th? Absolutely nothing at all. Just as luck has nothing to do with obesity or getting healthy.  

It has everything to do with intention, or the lack thereof.  We are quickly approaching a very difficult season for people with a weight problem. Every which way you look there are temptations. Very few are “healthy” choices. Cookies, cakes, shortbreads, etc. and etc.

If you work outside the home there will be extra goodies brought in by well-meaning co-workers or customers. What’s a body to do? No one wants to munch on carrot sticks or celery when there are chocolate chip cookies calling your name.

Here are some low calorie, low fat suggestions.

In a pretty clear bowl, layer pieces of angel food cake with low fat yogurt, sugar free pudding and fruit.  Top with sugar free whipped topping. Both attractive and tasty.

A veggie tray with low calorie dip.

A fresh fruit tray.  Fruit is available year round.

Nuts are good, but be careful – too many will pack on the pounds, plus they are usually high in salt, which makes you hold on to fluid.

Pretzels are also a good alternative, but again – lots of salt.


The main thing I’m saying is “be intentional.” Make a plan and stick to it.  You can do this. And so can I.

2 comments:

  1. Intentional!!! Genius word to keep around. You got me again, I eat when any emotion hits. And this Friday the 13th it hit, and I hit the Cherry Cokes. I was too bound up in what was happening to read your blog. Won't make that mistake again.

    Thank you for the supportive and so helpful words. INTENTIONAL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathye, everything I write applies to me. I mess up all the time, but just like God is the God of 2nd chances, so is life.

      Delete